Friday, February 15, 2008

Shoulda-Coulda-Woulda, But Didn't

Back in December when we were shopping for my new cell phone, we met a couple. They were new parents too and told us their four-month-old baby girl was having trouble gaining weight, but she slept through the night at six weeks (9pm - 6am). They were asking what they could do to help her gain weight. I honestly didn't know what to tell them since I assumed that the mother was breastfeeding on-demand like I was. In the end, the father mentioned that they were "doing Babywise." Now, I've never read any books by Gary Ezzo because he's not a medical professional and has no training in lactation or child development. Plus, I read some reviewers on Amazon mention that the Ezzo program has been linked to failure-to-thrive and breastfeeding failure in mothers.

However, I've recently found this website www.ezzo.info, and it has parents' stories (click here) of what following the Ezzo program did for their families. These stories are heart-wrenching!!! I cried for that little baby girl and for all the babies who have been and are being hurt, from failure-to-thrive to Reactive Attachment Disorder and everything in between. I looked at my little Sean and could not imagine flicking his cheek to keep him facing the dinner table or slapping his hands to keep him from reaching for the spoon. (What the...?!?!?!)

Today I told Sean, "Mommy loves you," more often and kissed him more often and hugged him tighter. I prayed for those parents and their baby girl and hoped that they were doing better.
I didn't put two and two together at the time, but I also didn't know what to say. I wish I had said something though...

No comments: