Thursday, March 13, 2008

Uber Chocolate


About a month ago, I saw a show on The Food Network that featured chocolate chip cookies from the Levain Bakery in New York. Of course, I am a fan of chocolate chip cookies (all things chocolate, really), and I was intrigued by their large size. After some online research, I found this recipe:

Dark Chocolate Coconut Cookies (Yields 1 dozen cookies)

by Connie McDonald & Pamela Weekes

Ingredients

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
10 ounces (1 1/4 cup) granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 ounces (1/2 cup) dark cocoa powder
10 ounces (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
Pinch of Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
3 ounces (1 cup) large walnut pieces
3 ounces (1 1/8 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugar until well-blended and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well-incorporated, then beat in cocoa powder. Mix in flour, salt and baking powder until just combined. Gently fold in remaining ingredients. Transfer dough to clean work surface and gently mix dough by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients. Divide into 12 equal portions and place each on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven 12 minutes, taking care not to overbake. Let cool on rack and store in airtight container.

I made a few modifications: I left out the walnuts and shredded coconut and just put in two cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I also left them in the oven for two extra minutes (14 minutes total) since I had read from some people that the interior is rather raw. The cookies were very chocolatey - almost like a brownie with a crisp exterior. But they were definitely large and had great height.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz! I finally got a chance to catch up on your blog after many months of being in the post partum haze...our little Henry is 5 months now! Anyway, I tried these cookies today and they were terrific (I am a dark chocoloate lover). I also changed one thing...I made the cookies way smaller! I couldn't get myself to make only 12 cookies with 2 sticks of butter! :) Thanks for posting the recipe!