Monday, May 19, 2008

Twelve-Month Checkup

We went to the pediatrician for Sean's 12-month-checkup today. He said Sean is progressing extremely well developmentally. His head circumference was about 18 inches (80th percentile), height was 29-3/4 inches (50th percentile), and his weight was 21 pounds, 3 ounces (25th percentile). Sean's weight dropped off quite a bit, but the doc wasn't concerned since I'm petite. Plus, breastfed babies gain weight more weight during the first six months and less weight during the second six months. Also, breastfed babies tend to weigh less than formula-fed babies, and Sean is very active now. He eats a lot though, especially when Matthew feeds him on the weekends, and I can't imagine him heavier since my arms and back get pretty tired as it is. Plus, I don't think that he looks skinny. Do you?

I've been reading a bit on the vaccines vs. autism debate, especially after the Hannah Poling case. Apparently Hannah Poling has a condition that predisposed her to autism, but they didn't know that until after she developed it. And I know that there hasn't been any definitive link between vaccines and autism, but I opted for just one live vaccine at this checkup. According to the guidelines it's okay to give two live vaccines, but I just felt like Sean's immune system could better deal with one at a time.

Speaking of immune systems, the pediatrician warned me to expect Sean to be sick at least once a month for the first six months once we start daycare. He said that he has noticed that is true whether babies start daycare at 3 months or 3 years. This makes me want to let Sean self-wean instead of weaning him at one year...

Another suggestion was that we teach Sean sign language. It's supposed to help with "the terrible twos" since babies will be better able to communicate and be less frustrated during that time. Does anyone have any books or DVDs that they can recommend?

No comments: